The Holy House of Mercy Museum, which was opened in 2001, comprises an invaluable collection of Macao's Catholic relics, some of them dated back from 16th Century, bearing testimony to the history of Western culture that was introduced to China through Macao.
Here, lies items connected to the history of the Holy House itself, with natural emphasis for the original manuscript of the Commitment of the Macau Holy House of Mercy handwritten and dated of 1662, believed to be the oldest in the Holy House of Mercy's archives, institution founded some years earlier, in 1569 by the first Bishop of Macao, D. Belchior Carneiro.
Other relevant pieces of secular history of the Holy House of Mercy are: the Skull D. Belchior Carneiro and the Cross that he was buried with; the oil portrait of D. Belchior Carneiro, dating from the 18th century; and the bronze bell from the old S. Rafael Hospital.
Another feature of the museum are the pieces of Sacred Art among which stand out: the statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus dated from the early 19th century, the statues of Our Lady of the Annunciation and Crucified Christ, both in ivory and dated from 18th century, Japanese and European ceramics with the monogram of the Society of Jesus, demonstrating the key role played by the Jesuits in the rapprochement between the Eastern and western civilizations.
Address: Travessa da Misericordia, No.2, Macao (at Senado Square)
Opening hours: 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. (closed on Mondays and public holidays)
Admission Fee: MOP5; Students and seniors over 65: Free.
Tel: +853 2857 3938 / 2833 7503
|Bus routes nearby:||3, 3X, 4, 6A, 8A, 18A, 19, 26A, 33, 101X, N1A|